Basic Buttermilk Muffin Recipe
Makes 12 muffins.
This is the recipe I’ve used for years. Make sure milk and eggs are room temperature.
2½ C unbleached flour or wholewheat pastry flour (or half of each)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ to ¾ C sugar or brown sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten, room temp
1 1/3 C buttermilk
1/3 C butter, melted or coconut oil
1½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
Add-ins of your choice (p. ?)
- Place oven rack in upper two-thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease muffin tins or line with muffin papers.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine them, stirring with just enough strokes to incorporated flour, but leaving batter somewhat lumpy.
3. Sprinkle add-ins* and flavorings of your choice. Combine muffin batter very gently.
4. Fill muffin tins ¾ full (use a large ice cream scoop or 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop batter). Bake until light brown and tops spring back when gently touched, about 10-12 minutes. Note: Muffins will take slightly longer to bake if you are adding fresh fruit such as blueberries or rhubarb.
5. Remove from oven and cool in tins (especially if there is fresh fruit). To remove, run a sharp knife around the edges and pop muffins out. Enjoy!
- Dark Chocolate & Raspberry (OR cherry): 1 cup Raspberries or cherries: 1 cup Raspberries, fresh or frozen (toss w 1 TBL flour) + ½ cup Dark Chocolate, chunked or chips.
- Lemony-Berry: 1 C blueberries (or raspberries) + 1 tsp lemon zest + 1 TBL lemon juice
- Apple-Walnut: ¾ cup Diced Apple (Granny Smith or Russet) + ½ cup toasted Walnuts, roughly chopped.
- Banana-Nut: Use preceding recipe for Banana Nut Bread.
- Cranberry OR Pear-Pecan: ¾ cup Dried Cranberries or 1 C diced pear, ¾ cup Dried Cranberries & ½ cup toasted Pecans, roughly chopped.
- White chocolate & Raspberry: ¾ cup White Chocolate, chopped or chips + 1 cup Raspberries, fresh or frozen.
- Coconut- Peanut Butter: ½ cup toasted unsweetened Coconut & ¾ cup Peanut-Butter Chips
- Cardamom- Rhubarb: 1 cup diced Rhubarb, fresh or frozen + ½ teaspoon Green Cardamom, freshly ground
- Date & Pistachio: ¾ cup Dates, pitted and chopped + ½ cup Pistachios
- Carrot & Golden Raisin: ¾ cup Golden Raisins + ¾ cup grated Carrot
- Apricot-Ginger: 1 C dried apricots, diced. Soften in a bowl of hot water (boiling) for 10 to 15 minutes +1½ tsp ground ginger and + ½ C diced candied ginger to dry ingredients.
- Spice: Add 2 tsp cinnamon or 1 tsp grated nutmeg. Or, ½ tsp cardamom, 1/8 tsp ground cloves and 1 tsp powdered ginger.
- Molasses: replace ½ cup sugar with ½ cup molasses (optional: + 1 grated carrot + 1 grated apple).
Toppings: Streusel: Before baking, sprinkle each muffin with a mixture of 1/2 C brown sugar, 1/3 C flour, ¼ C softened butter cut together with pastry blender.Lemon Sugar: Sprinkle top with lemon sugar (1 C sugar shaken with 1 TBL grated lemon rind, and left to sit for some time for flavors to mellow).
Post a Comment