Basic Oat Muffin Recipe
A heartier not-too-sweet breakfast muffin. Plan ahead for this one! The oatmeal needs to soak for 1 hour in milk before you make the muffins. Oatmeal gives this recipe texture. Recipe from cook, Aimée Bourque, simplebites.com
1 C milk* , room temp.
1 tsp white vinegar
1 C rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 large egg, room temp.
¼ C dark brown sugar
½ C butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 C + 2 TBL all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
½ tsp cinnamon, freshly ground
Add-ins of your choice
1. Combine milk, vinegar and oats in a large bowl and let stand one hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a twelve-cup muffin tin or line with cupcake papers.
3. Crack the egg into the oat and milk mixture; add brown sugar and mix to combine. Stir in melted butter.
4. Sift remaining ingredients into the bowl: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, & spices. Gently fold into batter, taking care not to over mix.
5. Sprinkle add-in and flavorings of your choice and combine muffin batter very gently.
6. Fill muffin tins ¾ full (use a large ice cream scoop or 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop batter). Bake until light brown and tops spring back when gently touched, about 12-15 minutes. Note: Muffins will take slightly longer to bake if you are adding fresh fruit such as blueberries or rhubarb.
7. Remove from oven and cool in tins (especially if there is fresh fruit). To remove, run a sharp knife around the edges and pop muffins out. Enjoy!
*You may also substitute 1-cup buttermilk, and then omit the vinegar from the recipe.
- Dark Chocolate & Raspberry (OR cherry): 1 cup Raspberries or cherries, fresh or frozen (toss w 1 TBL flour) + ½ cup Dark Chocolate, chunked or chips.
- Lemony-Berry: 1 C blueberries (or raspberries) + 1 tsp lemon zest + 1 TBL lemon juice
- Apple-Walnut: ¾ cup Diced Apple (Granny Smith or Russet) + ½ cup toasted Walnuts, roughly chopped.
- Banana-Nut: Use preceding recipe for Banana Nut Bread.
- Cranberry OR Pear-Pecan: ¾ cup Dried Cranberries or 1 C diced pear, ¾ cup Dried Cranberries & ½ cup toasted Pecans, roughly chopped
- White chocolate & Raspberry: ¾ cup White Chocolate, chopped or chips + 1 cup Raspberries, fresh or frozen.
- Coconut- Peanut Butter: ½ cup toasted unsweetened Coconut & ¾ cup Peanut-Butter Chips
- Cardamom- Rhubarb: 1 cup diced Rhubarb, fresh or frozen + ½ teaspoon Green Cardamom, freshly ground
- Date & Pistachio: ¾ cup Dates, pitted and chopped + ½ cup Pistachios
- Carrot & Golden Raisin: ¾ cup Golden Raisins + ¾ cup grated Carrot
- Apricot-Ginger: 1 C dried apricots, diced. Soften in a bowl of hot water (boiling) for 10 to 15 minutes +1½ tsp ground ginger and + ½ C diced candied ginger to dry ingredients.
- Spice: Add 2 tsp cinnamon or 1 tsp grated nutmeg. Or, ½ tsp cardamom, 1/8 tsp ground cloves and 1 tsp powdered ginger.
- Molasses: replace sugar with ½ cup molasses (optional: + 1 grated carrot + 1 grated apple).
Post a Comment