Whole Wheat Vegan Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1 ¾ C whole-wheat pastry flour
½ C turbinado sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 C vanilla soy or rice milk (room tempurature)
2 TBL canola oil
¼ C maple syrup
¾ C mango puree (or mashed bananas or applesauce)
½ - 1 C Add-In’s (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
3. In a separate larger bowl, combine wet ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine gently with a rubber spatula, being careful not to overmix. It’s okay if batter is lumpy.
5. Fill muffin tins ¾ full (use a large ice cream scoop or 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop batter). Bake until light brown and tops spring back when gently touched, about 15-20 minutes. Note: Muffins will take slightly longer to bake if you are adding fresh fruit such as blueberries or rhubarb.
6. Remove from oven and cool in tins (especially if there is fresh fruit). To remove, run a sharp knife around the edges and pop muffins out. Enjoy!
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
· Dark Chocolate & Raspberry (OR cherry): 1 cup Raspberries or cherries, fresh or frozen (toss w 1 TBL flour) + ½ cup Dark Chocolate, chunked or chips.
· Lemony-Berry: 1 C blueberries (or raspberries) + 1 tsp lemon zest + 1 TBL lemon juice
· Apple-Walnut: ¾ cup Diced Apple (Granny Smith or Russet) + ½ cup toasted Walnuts, roughly chopped.
· Banana-Nut: Use preceding recipe for Banana Nut Bread.
· Cranberry OR Pear-Pecan: ¾ cup Dried Cranberries or 1 C diced pear, ¾ cup Dried Cranberries & ½ cup toasted Pecans, roughly chopped
· White chocolate & Raspberry: ¾ cup White Chocolate, chopped or chips + 1 cup Raspberries, fresh or frozen.
· Coconut- Peanut Butter: ½ cup toasted unsweetened Coconut & ¾ cup Peanut-Butter Chips
· Cardamom- Rhubarb: 1 cup diced Rhubarb, fresh or frozen + ½ teaspoon Green Cardamom, freshly ground
· Date & Pistachio: ¾ cup Dates, pitted and chopped + ½ cup Pistachios
· Carrot & Golden Raisin: ¾ cup Golden Raisins + ¾ cup grated Carrot
· Apricot-Ginger: 1 C dried apricots, diced. Soften in a bowl of hot water (boiling) for 10 to 15 minutes +1½ tsp ground ginger and + ½ C diced candied ginger to dry ingredients.
· Spice: Add 2 tsp cinnamon or 1 tsp grated nutmeg. Or, ½ tsp cardamom, 1/8 tsp ground cloves and 1 tsp powdered ginger.
· Molasses: replace sugar with ½ cup molasses (optional: + 1 grated carrot + 1 grated apple).
Recipe adapted from The Chopra Center Cookbook.