Golden Rice & Brilliant Red Sauce
I came up with this food combination one day when I was especially hungry for something colorful to eat.
Delicious over rice, polenta, pasta, vegetables or potatoes.
Brown rice, uncooked, for 4 people
½- to 1-tsp turmeric
dash of salt
1 C roasted red peppers, rinsed of brine (Tassos is a good brand)
6 garlic cloves
1 TBL lemon juice, freshly squeezed
½ tsp salt
1 C olive oil (or ½ C oil, ½ C butter, room temp)
2 TBL fresh basil or dill, chopped
3-4 C Baby spinach
Pepita seeds, toasted
1. Before steaming brown rice, add turmeric and salt to rice pot. Add rice and water. Steam brown rice.
2. While rice is steaming, in a blender add red peppers, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Blend well.
3. While blender is running add thin stream of olive oil until it is incorporated.
4. Stir in basil or dill by hand.
5. To serve: mound hot rice over a pile of spinach so the heat softens spinach. After a moment, toss lightly. Ladle sauce over rice and spinach, then sprinkle with pepita seeds.
If served over pasta, add 1-½ C frozen peas to boiling pasta a few minutes before draining.