Auntie Kare’s Lemon-Buttermilk Sherbet
Amazingly simple and incredibly good. When Auntie Karey was raising her children in Montreal, she gleaned this amazing recipe from the huge collection of Bon Appetit magazines her friend Terri Tustain had given her. The first time we all tasted it was when she, Rochelle and Dwight made it and brought it
4 C buttermilk, or plain kefir (one quart container)
2 C sugar, scant
½ C lemon juice, fresh squeezed (before juicing, remove zest first with microplane or small grater)
2 TBL lemon zest (organic when using zest)
1. Pre-freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
2. In a large mixing bowl stir all ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
3. Refrigerate until chilled. We’ve made it without chilling and it still turns out. It just takes longer.
4. Whisk the mix again and churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. This usually takes 20-30 minutes. While sherbet is freezing, chill a glass storage container in the freezer.
5. Once sherbet is done, transfer to chilled container and freeze until ready to serve.