Marcy’s Beach House Beets
Beets With Goat Cheese & Balsamic Drizzle)
We LOVE this dish—even the kids. Make sure to have crusty bread to sop up the softened cheese and dressing.
Recipe from Mike and Marcy Soper, Bakersville, CA. Marcy is a great cook. She made this
when we stayed with them at their beach house in Ventura, California 2007. Mike is Dad’s first cousin.
6 medium beets, unpeeled greens cut off and saved for a side dish of Sautéed Beet Greens (just cook greens like you would cook chard)
Goat cheese, good quality
Homemade strong balsamic vinaigrette*
Crusty French bread
- Preheat oven to 375º. To roast beets: wrap scrubbed, unpeeled beets in foil (you can wrap 3 together—just keep similarly sized beets together in packets of foil). Place foil-wrapped beets in ovenproof dish or tray. Roast until tender, about 1 hour for large beets, 25-35 min for smaller ones. Cook until easily pierced with a knife. Remove from oven and let cool a bit.
- Peel roasted beets and slice into ¼-inch rounds, for small beets, or into ¼–inch half-moons for large beets. Place flat, or slightly overlapping, on serving tray.
- Crumble goat cheese over beets rounds until you can still see the beets showing through, but not too much.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over beets and goat cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Good as a side dish with bread, especially since the vinaigrette softens the cheese and makes a creamy sort of dip.
*Strong Balsamic Vinaigrette
To small food processor add:
2 cloves garlic, ½ C balsamic vinegar, 1 TBL red wine vinegar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Whisk til blended. Drizzle in 1 C olive oil, but stop blending before it thickens.
Post a Comment