Quinoa Stuffed Squash
Maggie Koblasova, my friend who is an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner, gave this delicious recipe.
Serves 3 as a main course
or 6 as a side dish.
3 small squash, Acorn or Delicata, etc…
1 TBL olive oil or ghee
1 small onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
¼ C shelled pistachios (if salted, soak in water first to remove salt, and drain)
8 dates, coarsely chopped (abt ¼ C)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp cinnamon
1 C cooked quinoa
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (This was omitted for the cleanse)
- Preheat oven to 375 Fº. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds (the seeds can be roasted like pumpkin seeds). Spread a little olive oil or ghee on the cut edges of the squash.
- Place squash face-down on a foil lined baking dish. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, about 30-40 minutes. Remove squash from oven but keep oven on.
- Prepare the stuffing while the squash is baking. Cook the quinoa. While that is boiling, heat oil or ghee in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until onion is translucent. Add pistachios, dates, lemon zest, and cinnamon and sauté for another minute. Stir in the cooked quinoa and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn the squash upright in the baking dish and stuff with the quinoa mixture. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, garnished with extra pistachios or lemon zest, if desired.
Post a Comment