Golden Thanksgiving Turkey
18-20 lb free-range turkey
3 medium Onions, chopped coarse
1 ½ medium Carrots, chopped coarse
1½ celery stalks, chopped coarse
6 thyme sprigs
3 TBL unsalted butter, melted
1. Rinse turkey and pat dry inside and out with paper towels. Reserve neck, heart and giblets for gravy stock. Chop liver and sauté in butter for a yummy snack.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position, and heat to 250ºF.
- Toss 1/3 of onion, carrot, celery and thyme with 1 TBL melted butter
- Place vegetables in body cavity.
- Truss the turkey. Look it up on the Internet if you don’t know how.
- Scatter remaining vegetables and thyme over a shallow roasting pan.
- Pour 1 C. water over vegetables.
- Set V-rack in pan
- Brush entire breast side of turkey with half of remaining butter, then place turkey, breast side down on V-rack.
- Brush entire backside of turkey with remaining butter.
- Put in 250ºF oven (breast side down), for 3 HOURS basting every hour.
- Turn turkey breast side up, roast 1 MORE HOUR, basting once or twice.
- Increase to 400ºF and roast until done—About 1 MORE HOUR.
(Breast temperature should be 165 degrees/ legs170-175º)