Turkey Mushroom Gravy
Thanksgiving gravy at it's finest.
You will need: turkey baster (syringe), whisk
1-½ lb cremini mushrooms, sliced (a.k.a. “baby bella”)
6 TBL butter
½ C turkey fat
Drippings from roasting turkey
½ C flour OR gluten-free flour mixture: almond flour, rice flour & sorghum flour
4-6 C water
Turkey neck, heart & giblets, rinsed
1 celery rib and leaves, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
Potato water (ladled from pot of boiling potatoes)
- Drippings: One hour before turkey is done roasting, open oven and, using a turkey baster, remove turkey fat and drippings from the bottom of the pan under the turkey and put drippings into a large clear-glass measuring cup. Turkey fat will rise to the top of the cup. Set aside.
- Stock: To a large saucepan sauté onion and celery until soft. Add turkey neck, heart and giblets. Pour in 4-6 cups water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or more, until the stock is reduced. Remove neck, heart and giblets. Set aside.
- Mushrooms: To a large 14-inch non-stick skillet melt 1-½ TBL butter. Add ONLY 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms. Toss to coat with butter and sauté until golden, stirring (or tossing) often. Put golden mushrooms in a large bowl and repeat process two more times (if you add all of the mushrooms at once, they will simply steam and not get golden—they need room to breathe). Set aside.
- Making the gravy: Set a 9x13 pan (or larger) on the stove. Skim off ½-cup turkey fat from the container of drippings and put in the pan (if there isn’t enough fat, add butter to equal ½ cup).
- Turn heat to medium and whisk in flour (or gluten-free mix) to the turkey fat. Stir until fragrant and flour is golden, about 2 minutes. While whisking, strain stock and drippings through a fine-mesh sieve into the pan stirring continuously. Add about 4 cups vegetable broth. You may need to add more thickener (potato water or shake up flour and water to make a slurry).
- Add any new turkey drippings from the turkey.
- Stir in mushrooms and serve.