Sorrel Soup with Chicken and Leeks
1/2 pound sorrel leaves, stripped from stems and chopped
2 leeks, cleaned, and sliced including an inch of green
1 TBL olive oil
4 C chicken broth, preferably homemade
1 egg, optional (not for AIP diet)
2 C chicken, cooked or uncooked
salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream, coconut cream or cashew cream
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, then sauté leeks for a minute or so, and add the chopped sorrel. Cook until sorrel wilts and turns its own unique shade of brown (once you cook it, you'll see what I mean).
- Add the chicken stock to the sorrel and leeks. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- At this point you can either puree the soup (use an immersion blender) and add the beaten egg, or you can leave it as is.
- Add the chicken. If the chicken is uncooked, simmer until cooked through. If you are using up leftover cooked chicken, chop or shred the chicken and add to soup to heat through.
- Serve the soup hot or cold, garnished with a small chiffonade of fresh sorrel, and a dollop of sour cream, coconut cream or cashew cream.
Hi! I love how informative and great your articles are. Can you recommend a List of Citrus Fruits or blogs that go over the same topics? Thanks a lot!ReplyDelete